The Inn at Timber Cove is located on the South Shore of Lake Superior in Ashland, Wisconsin, just one mile up from the lake.
The estate originally was part of a large piece of land which in 1884 was given by the City of Ashland for use by the Catholic Church. Curiously, a portion of that land, part of which our estate is situated on, was given to an Ashland resident in return for Militia duties during the Civil War. The original working of the deed was done in 1862 by then-President Abraham Lincoln. However, the land was not turned over until Presidential Secretary Henry Duffy made it official in 1892. The original, signed by President Lincoln, is at the historical society.
The first recorded structure was built around 1906 whereafter a prominent Chicago lawyer began curating the property in the 1920s. This gentleman is responsible for giving the estate the name, Timber Cove.
During the 1930s the estate was purchased by a prominent Ashland Doctor named Tucker. The property remained the Tucker Estate until the 1980s. Dr. Tucker developed the property significantly. He intended it to be a self-sustaining estate during the Great Depression. Fruit trees, berries, crops, and some animals were maintained. A system of rain troughs and pipes collected rainwater for storage in a large cistern. Several hired hands resided on the property to help with the work.
Following the Depression, Dr. Tucker added a clay tennis court, a barbecue pavilion, and an addition to the east end of the main house. The guest house was maintained for his frequent visitors. Even today when asked where we live, the older folks still refer to it as The Tucker Place.
In the 1980s, another physician owned the property and raised six children. We purchased it from them in 2001 and have transformed it into a remarkable getaway.